field macro light improvement options

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Gregor Samsa
Gregor Samsa Regular Member • Posts: 309
Re: field macro light improvement options

It should be noted that TTL won't work correctly on any flash if your lens isn't electronically coupled with the camera. That's nothing to do with the Meike, that's just the nature of TTL - it relies on knowing what the lens is doing. Manual mode will work regardless.

Regarding batteries, I use Sanyo Enloop rechargeable batteries for all my flashes, and I always have charged spares to hand. I've 12 AAs and 16 AAAs. That said, I don't push things in terms of taking a lot of sequential images in quick succession. A flash with a lithium-ion rechargeable pack would certainly have an advantage there, both in terms of recycle times and capacity.

I haven't tried this, but I believe you can recharge batteries in the Meike via the USB ports in the flashes and the control units. So maybe you could keep them topped up in the field via a USB power bank. Wouldn't really help with flash recycle times, and I'm just thinking out loud really - i wouldn't regard it as being an advantage if it did indeed work.

Gregor Samsa's gear list:Gregor Samsa's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a7 III Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow