A great addition to the X100v

Started 3 weeks ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Temna Zvezda
Temna Zvezda New Member • Posts: 17
A great addition to the X100v

I received my Lensmate folding thumb rest to use with my X100v a couple days ago. These are my early impressions:

The good:

• It is exceedingly high quality, both in materials and finish. The thumb rest feels like a luxury item (and so it should for the price!). The finish is a perfect match for my silver X100v.
  • The packaging it came in was also high quality. The box has a magnetic closure, which seems a bit like overkill for a thumb rest.
  • The folding mechanism is brilliant an allows access to dials and buttons where it might otherwise not be so easy to reach them.
  • The little silicon pad on the back of the thumb rest really does make a positive difference in the feel of the rest, giving it a bit more 'tooth' and making it feel more secure under the thumb.

Areas for improvement:

• I wish it sat just a little tighter to the body of the camera (see 2nd photo below). As it is right now, it does stick out the back a little farther than I'd like, and there's a perceptible gap where one feels it could have been fabricated to fit a little more snugly against the back of the camera.
  • I wish it were longer, reaching a bit farther to the right side of the camera. As it is right now, its a bit more of a stretch to use than I'd like. This might be muscle memory from the thumb support location on my PEN-F though, so take it with a grain of salt. That said, I do not have particularly large hands, so maybe others might feel differently about this.
  • It is a little bit pricey for a thumb rest at US$59.99. I personally paid CDN$92.15 all in, factoring in exchange rate, International shipping and Canadian taxes.

Overall, I think it's a fantastic addition to the camera, and I do recommend it to anyone who feels the X100v needs a little extra stability where grip is concerned. I haven't tried any of the non-folding imitations available on amazon for a lot less money. I decided in the end to just get the thing I really wanted, even at this price (following the age-old wisdom of 'buy once, cry once') instead of getting something with potentially less functionality and forever thinking about what could have been.

Lensmate folding thumb rest on X100v

Lensmate folding thumb rest on X100v, top view

-- hide signature --

Without the shadows, we cannot see the light. Music is what happens between the notes. Life is what happens while you're making other plans.

Temna Zvezda's gear list:Temna Zvezda's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +5 more
Temna Zvezda's score
Fujifilm X100V
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow