FL & focus info display?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Jeff DLB
Jeff DLB Regular Member • Posts: 203
FL & focus info display?

Is there a way for the Sony 18-135 lens current focal length and focus distance to be displayed on the LCD or EVF? The 16-50 kit lens shows FL, and if you switch to manual focus it also shows focus distance. The 18-135 only shows FL on the barrel, which of course is somewhat approximate (e.g., I was trying for 50mm but got 49), and never shows focus distance.

The FL info is obviously transmitted by the 18-135 lens, because it appears correctly in the Exif metadata. It would be nice to see it live during shooting. Perhaps only the power-zoom lenses transmit live?

Also, what is the deal with the Exif metadata parameters FocusDistance2 and FocusPosition2? FocusDistance is incorrect in every photo I've checked (consistently longer than the measured distance). I have no idea what FocusPosition is, except that it is an integer presumably based on an 8-bit number because it is always in the range 0-255.

-- hide signature --
 Jeff DLB's gear list:Jeff DLB's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow