Really loving IFA-69 paper

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dRomano Regular Member • Posts: 171
Really loving IFA-69 paper

I shoot a lot of dramatic B&W images in the studio. Black backdrop, lit with strobes, fine detail, etc. In my search for the elusive/non-existent "perfect paper", I've found that I absolutely love Innova IFA-69.

The weight is nice, the whites are very white @ L* 98+, very neutral so not warm nor cool, medium OBAs about on par with Canson Baryta Photo II, really excellent blacks with Dmax of about 2.6, just the right amount of stipple and without intrusive amounts of paper structure, and takes spraying well.

The other top contender was Canson Baryta Photo II. My problem with it is that the surface is somehow boring. I don't know how else to put it. The texture is just like my beloved Ilford Multigrade darkroom fiber paper, but that paper had a better gloss to it. The Canson just feels dull. And, because it is so smooth, it does not take spraying well. The spray never goes on in a perfect continuous film, so any texture left by the spray can be visible. If the paper has enough texture to it, it just blends in and you can't tell the difference. If the paper has too much "tooth" to the stipple, then the spray causes a harsh speckle which obscures deep shadow detail. This is what happens when you spray Red River Soft Gloss Rag. The Innova IFA-69 has the right balance for me.

I use an Epson p900, 1440x1440 dpi, black enhance on. Tone repro settings are either ABW "Dark" or custom icc profile made with 2371 patches. I also linearize the grayscale with a curve.

dRomano's gear list:dRomano's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM DxO Optics Pro Elite +4 more
Nikon Coolpix P90 Nikon Coolpix P900
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow