Compact reasonably priced options for Sony FE

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Igor Sotelo Regular Member • Posts: 471
Re: Compact reasonably priced options for Sony FE

Tirpitz666 wrote:

I can tell that the Tamron 70-180 F2.8 is a VERY good lens for the price.

It's plasticky but doesn't feel cheap at all, the mount is all metal and there is no barrel wobble nor zoom creep to talk of (oh and it's weather sealed also). Tamron gives you a five (or even six years) warranty if you buy it new, guess that speaks volumes on how they think their build quality is up to snuff.

Optically is as competent as the much more expensive GM version and AF is quite fast as well. The only real gripe that is not stabilized, so care has to be taken when shoot above 100-135mm with shutter speed.

In terms of compactness is second to none considering the kind of lens it is, I end up bringing it with me often "just in case", a thing that I'd never do with a "regular" 70-200 2.8 zoom.

For me it's highly recommended.

Except for Zeiss, I didn’t use third party lenses before, but I think Tamron more expensive offerings and Sigma Art/Sport series are reasonably well made and optically excellent.

Still have to see the Tamron 70-180mm in person, wish it were of metal, but overall the Sony A7 cameras are really well suited for compact lenses.

Igor Sotelo's gear list:Igor Sotelo's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 6D Nikon Df Canon EOS 5DS Sony a7R II +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow