Choosing walkaround prime for casual travel/street photos

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JT_azuki Junior Member • Posts: 25
Choosing walkaround prime for casual travel/street photos

I'm currently using the XT4, adapted with Sigma 18-35 as my main lens. I've been considering a 16mm or 23mm lens for a while for that 24mm/35mm full frame equivalent look.

I mostly want to get a new lens as the 18-35 + adapter can get a little large and threatening, it often draws stares. And at the same time, I want something small and weather sealed so that I can shoot in wet weather. My budget is below $400, and I'm open to used lenses. Stalking ebay every now and then too.

My question is, should I still buy a 23mm (35mm ff) lens, when my Lightroom stats show it's not a very common focal length for me? I keep hearing wonders of this magical 35mm field of view, but somehow haven't shot with it much.

By far, most of my shots have been at 35mm. In terms of ratio of shots, it's kinda like this 35mm : 23mm : 18mm = 3 : 0.75 : 1. I have more keepers with at 35mm and 18mm, but I also do have a lot of personal favourites with the 23mm range.

Also, as a sidenote, doesn't the 16mm f/2.8 look too overpriced? I don't think it's worth more than $300. The Sigma 16mm f/1.4 is the exact same price but 2 stops brighter. Sometimes I do regret picking up the XT4 with the expensive lens options.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow