70-210/2.8 - for what is it good for?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
cxsparc
cxsparc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,786
70-210/2.8 - for what is it good for?

I currently honestly wonder what a 70-210/2.8 is good for?

Background: I have an legacy film era 1.5 kg Sigma 70210/2.8 APO for Canon EF crudely mounted to my APSC cameras for testing. It is one of those that no longer worked on Canon bodies after Canon had changed the AF protocol that Sigma had reverse-engineered.

Of course due to the makeshift adaption IQ is not really perfect and MF is difficult to achieve, aperture remains at 2.8. But what I see are strong roll off of sharpness outside of image center, low maximum sharpness and a razor thin DOF. The first two points may not be improvable due to the old lens design.

The last point makes me wonder what our birdies use for apertures, wide open it seems impossible to catch even a static small bird fully in focus.

I initially wondered whether to get a MC11 to get AF for this lens, but seeing the current IQ I am not convinced this makes a lot of sense instead of being a current 70200/4 instead, lighter, modern lens design.

-- hide signature --

German/English Sony APSC-Blog: http://luxorphotoart.blogspot.de/

cxsparc's gear list:cxsparc's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6600 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow