Lens sample variation - how? something to worry about?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
HappyCampers Forum Member • Posts: 84
Lens sample variation - how? something to worry about?

Its interesting ready photo forums, I hear about stuff that wouldn't necessarily occur to me to be an issue - like lens variation

Now, every time I buy a new lens I worry, "is it as good as it should be". This year I have bought a couple of lenses and both caused worry.

One seems to fringe quite a lot at the edges - but has a reputation for doing so - so is mine normal or not? The other has a noisy focus ring, but I haven't handled another sample of the same model, so is that normal or not?

My background is in manufacturing and design so I know plenty about how Japanese company's approach designing in quality and controlling their manufacturing processes - but some degree of sample variation is inevitable. Its whether is that manufacturing variation that impactful in real life?

Or does the significant sample variation come from handling / postage etc. It seems unlikely to me a decentered lens would leave the factory that way (unless the design or manufacturing tolerances were poor and allowed it to happen)

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow