EFS 18-55 lens replacement/upgrade

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
quiquae Senior Member • Posts: 2,077
Re: EFS 18-55 lens replacement/upgrade

Rigberg wrote:

Thank you for the feedback!

I've found this lens for $300, any thoughts? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/351548-USA/Canon_9517A002BA_EF_S_17_85mm_f_4_5_6_IS.html

I have never used that lens myself, but it has often been criticized as soft, with few defenders. It is also really old, to the point where Canon's support web page says it will cease to repair the lens after September this year. I wouldn't spend more than $100 on it, let alone $299. If you want a one-size-fits-all solution, EF-S 18-135 STM is a much better behaved modern lens.

Also, could someone explain the difference between the EF-S 18-55mm STM vs the 18-55mm IS II (besides $50)?

The older IS II has a front element that rotates when focusing, which will drive you up the wall if you use C-PL; a really loud motor that also handles small motion very poorly, which makes servo AF and video AF painful, if not altogether impractical; and lacks full-time manual focus--that is, if you try to turn the focus ring without turning off AF, you risk breaking the lens.

On the plus side, it's $50 cheaper.

quiquae's gear list:quiquae's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD300 Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow