Should I/Who Should get the Canon EOS R3?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MinAZ
MinAZ Veteran Member • Posts: 5,653
Should I/Who Should get the Canon EOS R3?

I am trying to decide if an R3 is something I should get. I admit there is an element of GAS here, but putting that aside, what is the best use case? Who is it for, who should get it, and who shouldn't necessarily?

I already have the R5 and R6. I love both cameras. I admit had there been an inkling of the R3 on the horizon, I am not sure whether I would have waited for it. But that's the past now. The one thing that seems most innovative about the R3 is the eye-tracking AF, but that's not something I have tried before. How good is it, in the era of eye-detect AF, and does it really do something that would improve the shooting experience?

I love the idea of the built-in grip. But I do have 2 bodies already, and I usually do not get a third (for myself). I might sell the R5 or R6 for the R3, but then again they seem perfectly reasonable cameras already.

Does the stacking CMOS = a compelling reason to buy?

I know this question will come up so to answer it first, I shoot mostly people, all sorts of ways (environmental, wedding, portrait, studio, kids, families). I do use my camera for general purpose so my workhorse cameras can be co-opted for family travel, the occasional air show, a whale watching cruise, a mini-safari (not the real ones... yet), or kid's soccer, but I wouldn't consider these the MAIN uses of my cameras, more like occasional uses.

So, who is this R3 for, and would I regret buying one or regret not buying one?

And yes there is the price issue but its not announced yet. At some price, almost nobody would buy it of course, and at another, almost everybody would. I assume Canon is pricing it somewhere in between but since we don't know where, I have to exclude this factor from the consideration for now.

Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow