Nikkor 70-300 afp DX 4.5-6.3 on Z Cams

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ricky-J-G New Member • Posts: 11
Nikkor 70-300 afp DX 4.5-6.3 on Z Cams

For any eyeing up the 70-300 DX AFP lens, this might be useful. Currently, and almost rather sadly, the longest native z lens is actually the super budget, but very mighty 50-250 DX lens. But to gain those extra 75mm (35mm equiv) the 70-300 is very tempting, bring the focal length to 450mm. Getting in a good range for basic nature imagery etc.
I thought I'd test the very budget friendly DX version of the 70-300. I REALLY wanted to like this lens, but am returning it. It could be I have a bad copy, and I was tempted to order another, but seeing as I have the 50-250, I'm returning it. I'll await a native (but more expensive) z mount equivalent.

The good on this lens is many: great focus speed, slient focus, light, great form factor, cheap, the VR is actually pretty good, and the photos are quite acceptable indeed.

Downsides are often reported on, and found in mine: purple fringing CA, and not so sharp focus overall. I tried wide open, stopped down, and it was all pretty simlar. Not bad, but not super sharp in my copy.

Again, I'd love to try a second copy, as I hear others report no CA, while others try 3 versions, all with CA. Is the CA bad? In mine, it actually is strong enough on tough scenes to degrade the image even when corrected (leaves a band of runied pixels). I hear of others who have sent in for correction, and the lens came back sharper. But I'm not sure what they might compare that sharpness to.

I think the lens is really quite good for the price, even my copy, and I think it is really mainly the comparisons to the very sharp 50-250z that is to blame in my case. You can see some crops below. The roof photo shows the overall kind of 'softness' on every image, when compared to the crisper, finely detailed 50-250. I tried sharpening up, in lots of ways, but really its a fudge, and does add artifacting, even mild corrections.

Can it yeld a great shot! Certainly! But if you pixel peep, or worry over things like feather detail in wildlife, then it gets difficult. Basically, I'm used to seeing a good image with good to great sharpness, and it's one of those lenses (in my case) that is noticable in loss of quality.

Anyway, a lot of people have success with theirs. The z lenses are just the bit sharper, and a bad copy may make the difference more noticable

Ricky-J-G's gear list:Ricky-J-G's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D700 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow