S5 - Current state of autofocus?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Nirurin Senior Member • Posts: 1,059
S5 - Current state of autofocus?

Hi there, currently going back and forth on camera options, and the S5 is in consideration, but I have ... hesitation due to the bad things i've heard regarding its autofocus.

I have use a DfD camera before (a gx85) and found the DfD system to be pretty unreliable, especially in low light. And from the reviews I've seen on the S5, it still has issues (or at least did at time of review), especially with pulsing during videos (which is basically a dealbreaker, as it would ruin the shot).

Was curious to know if people who actually use the camera had figured out things the reviewers didn't, such as how to prevent the pulsing. Or maybe panasonic has improved it with updates?

Currently comparing the S5 to the A7iii/A7C, and the X-T4. The sony has the photo quality and autofocus, and the fuji has the video quality (10-bit seems rare right now) and IBIS. Panasonic seems to be the only camera that is full frame, and has 10-bit, that isn't out of my price range! But if the AF isn't up to scratch, the XT4 will probably win it for me.

Canon PowerShot S5 IS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow