Help choose new camera, D780, Z6II, etc.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ZilverHaylide Senior Member • Posts: 1,166
Re: Help choose new camera, D780, Z6II, etc.

Anton N wrote:

Hello members of DP Review,

I am using for a while my wife camera (Nikon d5200) and love photography.

It's time to get my own camera and I don't have a lot of experience with other cameras and differences with Nikon vs Canon vs Sony vs etc.

Right now looking for mostly Nikon D780. Not sure if there any sense go with mirrorless, what I read from other threads, Nikon doesn't have good fundaments to the mirrorless camera.

Camera going to use in traveling, event photoshoot and landscape.

Budget not above ~$5000 (body + lens(es)) and will have this camera for next 5-8 years.

Thanks,

Anton

If you haven't already done so, look at the Buying Guides here at DPR.

For the applications you list, a DSLR like the D780 has no performance advantages over mirrorless, and will be larger and heavier than mirrorless. Since you are interested in full frame, any APS-C Nikon lenses your wife has won't much help you. And I think mirrorless will very definitely displace DSLRs during the time frame you intend to keep your new camera. You won't have a good upgrade path when it's time to replace. So unless you absolutely hate electronic viewfinders, I would definitely go mirrorless.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow