How to get maximum background blur/bokeh?

Started 3 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Brett8883 Regular Member • Posts: 345
How to get maximum background blur/bokeh?

I have a Sony A7R4 and a Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN and I just don’t feel like I’m getting the amount of background/foreground blur that I want.

I realize a faster lens would produce more background blur, we’ll take that as a given and I realize that getting closer to subjects and therefore decreasing the focus distance will create more background blur but would a longer lens also help? Is there something to be said that this Sigma lens is just so sharp that it causes there to be less background blur?

For instance assume a photograph you want to take has a given framing. Would standing further back with a longer lens produce more background blur than a wider lens? And note that I’m interested in background blur not DoF which I feel like is subtly different. For instance a 70mm lens at f/2.8 at 10ft should give you 1 foot DoF with a 30 micron CoC and a f/2.8 140mm lens would give you the same framing and DOF at 20 feet but would it give you more background blur due to compression or some other other reason? Or is the f-number really all that matters if framing is the same?

It just seems like when I see photographs that have really intense background blur they seem to be taken with longer lenses.

I just found this photo on Google search real quick and no way this Sigma lens would ever be able to produce that large Circle of Confusions even at 70mm f/2.8 and minimum focus distance.

Do different lens have characteristics that cause the out of focus areas to appear more blurry?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow