How much do the two memory slot cards have to match?

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
peter2013 Forum Member • Posts: 62
How much do the two memory slot cards have to match?

I recently bought a Z6 II. I intend to use it mostly for video, and just as a backup for stills. (My Z7 is for stills and backup for video)

It has two memory card slots. But one takes a XQD/CF Express card and the other takes an SD card. Why? That means I have to carry two kinds of memory, readers, etc - more clutter to stock and organize. Why not make them both the same?

Anyway I intend to use the two slots in Backup Mode. Lots of my shooting is critical studio shooting where we've hired a model and set up the studio and may have hired other help so I don't want to risk losing any shots, so backup is good. The manual says: Each picture is recorded twice, once to the card in the primary slot and again to the card in the secondary slot.

So my question is, how well do the performance aspects of the CF Express and SD cards have to match when used this way? FWIW I mostly shoot 120 FPS 1080p MP4. When I shoot stills they're NEF+JPEGfine*. My Lexar CF Express cards are rated for 1750 MB/s; none of my SD cards are anywhere near that. The fastest SD card I've seen on the market is 300MB/s.

If I'm shooting in Backup Mode with a 1750 MB/s card in the primary slot and a 250 MB/s SD card in the secondary slot, and I'm shooting 10 minute, 120 FPS 1080p video will the slow SD card cause a bottleneck or other problems?

Thanks in advance.

Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow