Landscape lens help

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sbw123 Regular Member • Posts: 134
Landscape lens help

I have the opportunity to travel out west this summer, which means sweeping landscape photos (I hope).  Living in, and seldom leaving, a big city, landscape photography is new to me.

It seems to me that the 14-30 is a widely used and preferred lens for landscape photos. I currently have a 24-70mm and am debating spending $1,200.00 for the 14-30.

Ignoring weight, what are some pros/cons of using the 24-70 mm for landscapes v. the 14-30mm? How much of an issue is barrel distortion with the 14-30mm (Where vertical lines slope in instead of remaining vertical)?

Why IS the 14-30mm so popular for landscapes?  I

know many people will say a 50mm lens is the way to go - well, I can always set the 24-70mm to 50mm.

I also have a 70-200mm that I plan on using as I've read articles on how that's a great lens for landscapes as well. Which then begs the question - does the lens size matter?

Any advice, help, insight, comments, etc. are much appreciated.

-- hide signature --
 sbw123's gear list:sbw123's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon D7200 Nikon Z6 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
C41
C41
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow