RX100M6 – a flawed gem

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MikeS34 New Member • Posts: 3
RX100M6 – a flawed gem

I am wondering if I have just been unlucky with my experiences with Sony RX series cameras?

I have always owned a compact camera to supplement my DSLR, or more recently my mirrorless camera.

Having read very favourable reviews I bought the then new RX100 Mk1 in 2012. I was very impressed even though I was aware of a slight image softness at the top right of the frame. It immediately became my travel camera.

The lack of a tilting screen or EVF made it tricky to compose in bright conditions, so in 2014 I bought the then new RX10 Mk1. The additional weight and bulk were more than compensated by the EVF, tilting screen, greater reach, constant f2.8 lens and superior image quality – pin sharp edge to edge. The perfect do it all camera.

More recently, I decided to trade in both my RX100 Mk1 and RX10 Mk1 and purchase an RX100M6, thinking this would provide most of the advantages of the RX10 in a smaller package – a big mistake.

I was not expecting much of a trade-in allowance for either camera, but was most disappointed when the dealer, having examined both cameras, reported a significant fungus infection on some of the internal lens elements of the RX10. This was despite it never having been wet and always kept in a dry and well ventilated environment. The trade-in value was reduced accordingly. Worse was to follow.

Due to the illness of a close family member and the effects of Covid-19 restrictions, the RX100 Mk6 got very little use during it’s first year. When I started to use in earnest recently, I was immediately impressed at the technology packed into such a small package. However, I was alarmed at the unacceptable falloff in image sharpness towards the sides of the frame, especially at wider focal lengths. This was at odds with the reported good image quality in the DP Review test which stated: “The lens looks impressively sharp and consistent across its range”.

I contacted Sony who agreed to examine the camera. After testing, I was told that the camera required a new – very expensive - lens unit. I had to to pay for this as the camera was out of warranty – ouch!

After the camera was returned, there was no perceptible improvement. A far as I am concerned, the fundamental requirement of any camera is to provide good image quality. Despite it’s many brilliant talents, the RX100M6 fails to do this. Regrettably, it will have to go.

Below are screenshots using my Olympus OM-D EM5 with Olympus 12-100 f4.0 PRO for comparison.

Edge of frame @ 100%: Olympus OM-D EM5 Mk3 12-100 PRO left - Sony RX100M6 Right

Centre of frame @ 100%: Olympus OM-D EM5 Mk3 12-100 PRO left - Sony RX100M6 Right

Edge of frame @ 100%: Olympus OM-D EM5 Mk3 12-100 PRO left - Sony RX100M6 Right

MikeS34's gear list:MikeS34's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Olympus E-M5 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +2 more
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow