Why I Picked the R6 vs the R5

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Larawanista
Larawanista Veteran Member • Posts: 3,467
Why I Picked the R6 vs the R5

I realized I couldn't wait for the pandemic to end before I upgrade. After having spent a couple of days with both the R5 and the R6, thanks to my trusted dealer, I went for the R6 and a lens (for roughly the same money as the R5 would have cost me).

My initial observations:

The R5 is one heck of a camera. Wow. It's just wow. The focusing, the clarity / quality of each image, the speed of performance. It's probably the best camera ever made by Canon (though I've only used the 7D, 80D, 6D, 5DMIV before moving to the R series). The ergo is as expected, almost perfect grip (slightly deeper than the R6) and controls are just intuitively located. Those who own this camera already know all of these accolades I'm sure.

Yet I went for the R6. I actually like the fact that it's 20mp - for my personal travel and landscape photography, as well as for corporate shoots I do, including training photos, videos; executive/management portraits; sceneries shot from rooftops for a niche client.

Now here's a recently acquired habit: Dogs running around with our kids, nieces and nephews, and bird photography (since the pandemic, my treks have been farther and farther away from the city, where it is safer, which brought me closer to wildlife).  I've seen the reviews on the focusing prowess of the R6. I will of course still need a lot of practice so I don't think I'll be suddenly capturing birds in flight by the dozen just because I have a camera that's more capable of tracking them. But my daughters running by the shoreline being chased by their dogs!

And this despite the fact that the R is already giving me 30mp. I like that it will mean smaller file sizes to process, which means I save some time at post. Time is the most expensive "commodity" that goes into play in photography anyway.

The R6 feels solid in my hands. I must compare how the LCD flips back to the body. It feels more firm and secure. There is a slight curve at the back, versus the flat layer in both the R and the RP. It's probably just the curved edges - a small change that makes the camera a tad nicer to hold. The handgrip is slightly thicker than the R's which again feels more "adequate" for me.

The joystick! I cannot believe I have managed to live and survive without it in both the R and the RP. This is what will not make me miss using the R. Welcome back, joystick, I missed you terribly! Please don't ever go away again.

Lastly, I never liked the top screen implementation of the R to change shooting modes. I understand it kind of made the whole thing more digital, versus the old-fashioned, "analog" rotating dial. I however do not miss the top display. I never learned to be dependent on it, even in my DSLR days. Mirrorless does not always have to mean removing what to me makes sense. Yep, call me old-fashioned that way.

Oh one more thing - the IBIS: I just took a "keeper" using the RF35mm lens at a shutter speed of 1/5! I am sure I won't always be this lucky. 1/15 suddenly seems a realistic handheld option on a stabilized lens And yes, 1/20 on my primitive EF50mm 1.4, dang!

After I upgrade the firmware, it's time to capture images!

-- hide signature --

"Photography is therapeutic."
https://500px.com/joshcruzphotos

Larawanista's gear list:Larawanista's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +12 more
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow