Bit rot

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
LuxShots
LuxShots Contributing Member • Posts: 707
Idiot

He is an absolute idiot.

Bit rot is a term coined by Software Engineering that depicts when code has been written so long ago, that it hasn't been refactored to keep up with changes in technology, be that speed improvements, code architecture improvements or new means and methods for how the code is supposed to operate in the latest realization of the software.

I speak this with the utmost knowledge, as I have been a Sr Software Engineer for quite awhile ;-).

I better way to deal with failures of the recording medium that are bound to happen at some point, is to reduce the statistical probability of it happening at all. If you have all of your data on just one hard drive (mechanical or SSD) you are playing with fire, as it can fail at anytime without warning. The term Sudden Infant Death describes how even a brand new electronic device can fail in the first 49-72 hours of use, while the one right next to it on the shelf will hold data for a decade!

The way I handle my data is using a RAID 5 NAS solution. If any one drive fails, every bit if my data is 100% in tact. albeit at a lower reading rate. I can then replace the bad drive in a hot swappable manner, and get back to full functionality after the system integrates the new drive.

My NAS is connected to my desktop computer using a 10GB SPF+ network connection, and to the rest of my network over the 1GB Ethernet connections, which makes my data available over the internet through a secure VPN connection.

I only run Seagate IronWolf NAS drives, and I have 5 4TB drives giving me 16TB of storage space, as RAID-5 uses one drive for parity. The drives run 24/7 in my NAS, and after they get to a predetermined amount of hours, I move them to the NAS backup pool, which is only powered on weekly for backups. At some point in time, these drives will be retired completely, and replaced with higher capacity drives with at least 10TB per drive.

I have 5TB of cloud drive space, that holds at least one full backup and the latest incremental backup, so if I suffer from a theft or fire, I still have my data, and my wallet just gets a tad lighter.

Everyone doing digital image creation that wants their imagery to last a few lifetimes should invest the money on a NAS based data storage solution, as well as instructions for where it is and how they go about getting to it for loved ones.

I'm still working on getting my wife up to speed, but the things on my NAS unit is as important to her as they are to me, so it's worth the effort for her to learn.

FYI, I use the QNAP TS-932X, and I added 16GB of RAM to it. This has 5 3.5" storage drive bays and 4 2.5" SSD cache drive bays. I use 4 256 GB SSD drives for read cache, as I edit 5.9K video directly off of my NAS drive, and this greatly increases performance. This model is currently in legacy status, but other models with more power and a similar price are available. A cheaper way to go would be to at least get a 4 drive NAS such as a QNAP TS-431K.

LuxShots's gear list:LuxShots's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-S1H Panasonic S 24-105mm F4 Macro OIS Panasonic S1 Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow