Canon rumored R7. I'm calling it...

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,296
Re: Canon rumored R7. I'm calling it...

MikeJ9116 wrote:

Again the vast majority of APS-C DSLR "users" probably only bought 1 camera kit, which they aren't evne using today. They didn't just reject the M system; they rejected ILCs entirely.

You keep stating something that is literally pulled from thin air. Are you Professor X and are tied into every APS-C user's mind on the planet? What on earth makes you think nearly all APS-C camera owners never touch their cameras?

I'd say it's pretty accurate that most APS-C users don't use their cameras anymore.  This group in question is largely Canon's former cash cow...the non-photo-nerd average Joes and Janes that were buying kit lens rebels a decade ago when phones were still pretty bad.  Because if you wanted decent photos you needed a DSLR at minimum.  These people mostly have those cameras collecting dust in closets today, replaced by their phone.  I have several family members in this group.

Think about it.  Right before the pandemic, go practically anywhere you'd likely see a lot of cameras and it's mostly mobile phones now.  A decade ago, every third bloke wandering around Disneyworld had a cheap DSLR with the 18-55 kit lens slung around their neck. They bought it because it was the only option to take photos that "didn't suck", not because they were photography enthusiasts.  Phones now take photos that don't suck for this sector of the market.  So where does the big, bulky camera end up?  Unused in a closet.

Nowadays a 'real camera' in public is a rare sighting.  You either see the hardcore photo geek carrying the latest and greatest to get 45MP snapshots of their kid with Cinderella, or somebody still toting around their decade old rebel.  Either way you see a far, far fewer cameras now.  Like an order of magnitude fewer.

So yeah, I'd say it's a valid assumption that the vast majority of cheap APS-C cameras sold over the last 10 years are sitting in closets now.

-- hide signature --
 gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Panasonic LX100 II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow