What might the Sigma 35/1.4 DG DN bring that the 35/1.4GM Doesn't?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
travelinbri_74
travelinbri_74 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,242
What might the Sigma 35/1.4 DG DN bring that the 35/1.4GM Doesn't?

I am about to move (countries) and would like to consolidate my lens collection a bit, which would include selling my 24/1.4GM and picking up a 35. I am leaning hard towards the excellent 35/1.4GM - which luckily is available in most stores where I am (Bangkok) - but have been telling myself i should wait to see this Sigma release. I wonder if I am being silly. With the Sony being so good, what could the Sigma bring?

A few hundred bucks cheaper? Yes, but probably the same loss in the resale value.

A bit smaller? Possible, although the Sony already pushes on what is possible for a 1.4 FF lens.

Sharper? Better Bokeh? Better colors? More micro contrast? Sure, possible, but Sony seems to be historically good at that focal length.

Closer minimum focus range? Would actually be super useful for me, but I tend to doubt that is where they will focus their efforts.

I assume this will be the Sony 35/1.4GM lens for the L Mount alliance. Perhaps equal, but unlikely to be better...

Thoughts?

-- hide signature --
 travelinbri_74's gear list:travelinbri_74's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a7R III Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow