Sigma 56 worth setting if I have already have the Sony 50 OSS?

Started Apr 27, 2019 | Polls thread
Joshua1209 New Member • Posts: 16
Re: Sigma 56 worth setting if I have already have the Sony 50 OSS?

Htbaa wrote:

Joshua1209 wrote:

Htbaa wrote:

NotAPhotog wrote:

Htbaa wrote:

NotAPhotog wrote:

Title.

Nothing wrong with my Sony 50 other than slight softness and some purple fringing wide open. AF is lightning fast on my A6000 and I get tracking across the entire frame. OSS is useful but I don't shoot at this focal length for video often and when I do I use a gimbal. OSS is good for low light indoor portraits but for group shoots a flash is needed.

The 56 won't have tracking across the entire frame like my Sigma 16 and doesn't have OSS. However it's a "true" 85mm, fast and incredibly sharp.

What makes you think that? As far as I know the f/1.4 trio does just that.

I have the Sony 50mm as well and see no need to add the 56mm. For what I’ve heard optically the 56mm is stellar. If you want a bit longer focal range and f/1.4 you could instead replace the Sony 50mm with the Sigma?

I have the Sigma 16 and it doesn't have tracking across the whole frame.

Are you sure? The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 does and for what I've heard and read the 16mm has even better AF performance.

The Sigma 30 f2.8 has slightly more accurate AF than the Sigma 30 f1.4.

Atleast my copy had serious Manual focus and AF accuracy issues. The Sigma 56 is better than both Sigma 30s and so is the the Sigma 16. The minimum focussing distance of the Sigma 16 is an added bonus.

With the 30mm f/2.8 not supporting PDAF through the entire frame I highly doubt this statement. Any manual focusing issues with the f/1.4 have been resolved with the latest firmware updäte.

It's true it only works in the middle of the frame but there it does so with slightly more accuracy than the Sigma 30 f1.4. I take it with a pinch of salt when an update has seemingly resolved all focus issues with f1.4 lens. Plus the tiny Sigma f2.8 is third the price and weight and definitely not three times worse.

The Sigma 56 f1.4 is still far better at focussing in any conditions, which is a shame cause the 30mm (45mm FF) is a much more useful focal length.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow