Who else has a thing for manual lenses?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
OP DominicVII Contributing Member • Posts: 550
Re: Who else has a thing for manual lenses?

cba_melbourne wrote:

DominicVII wrote:

What I would like to add is that with IBIS and highlighting of in-focus areas, manual focusing is a foolproof method with Olympus. It is not as easy with DSLRs; at least catch in focus on my Pentax is not quite as precise.

DSLR still have optical viewfinders. Like the good old film days SLR.

You know, in the old film days (before autofocus) many people me included, did pay premium for the brightest lenses. Not for the narrow DOF in the pictures - I most often did close the aperture down to get a wider DOF. Not for shooting in low light, albeit it was a great advantage too when needed.

No, we paid premium for the brightest lenses first and foremost because they were so quick and easy and precise to focus. The faster the lens, the brighter and clearer the viewfinder, the more critical did the microprisms and the rangefinder prisms react to the smallest movement of the focus ring.

Slow manual lenses were just no fun to focus, almost impossible to critically focus in low light. In this regard, the biggest advantage of modern days autofocus is IMO focusing in low light with cheaper slow small aperture lenses.

The biggest viewfinders on full frame DSLRs are typically smaller than the viewfinders on the SLRs of old. The viewfinder of an old Konica that I shortly owned was so gigantic and bright that nailing focus was a piece of cake. They don't build them like that anymore. I use my Pentax DSLR with a 1.20 magnifier, but the pentaprism viewfinder of my Pentax is still significantly smaller than that to be found on my old Konica.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow