Nikon 85mm 1.8S for Street Photography

Started 3 weeks ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BurnImage
BurnImage Senior Member • Posts: 1,206
Nikon 85mm 1.8S for Street Photography

I don't often write a review, but when I do I like to back it up with images. This review is for the outstanding 85mm 1.8S. But with a different slant than the obvious use case for this lens, which is often for portraits.

Nope, this is about using it for street photography.

During the summer of 2020, between the Covid Lockdowns here in the UK, I did a lot of street photography using the 14-30mm. I like to shoot wide! You can see my review of that lens for street photography here.

However, around this time I also picked up the 85mm 1.8S. The images featured in this thread were captured during my first walkabout with this lens. In other words, they were all taken during one afternoon last September.

To say I was blown away is an understatement. This lens is an optical marvel and the ability of my (then) Z6 to lock onto moving people walking towards me and nail focus wide open at f1.8 astounded me. In terms of focus they were all spot on!

As it happens, it was the first time I'd tried using an 85mm lens of any description for street photography. But it won't be the last!

Anyway, judge from yourself, here's a mixture of images from the day shot from wide open at f1.8 through to f5.6.

Again, they were all from one afternoon session only, and from my first time using the lens:

If you're interested, you can read the full story of that afternoon using the 85mm 1.8S for street photography here on my blog.

-- hide signature --
 BurnImage's gear list:BurnImage's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 II Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 +4 more
Nikon Nikkor Z 85mm F1.8 S
Telephoto prime lens • Nikon Z
Announced: Jul 31, 2019
BurnImage's score
Average community score
Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow