What lenses are best to test the K3III AF

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
OpticsEngineer Veteran Member • Posts: 7,024
What lenses are best to test the K3III AF

I suppose quite a few of us getting K3III's will be testing the AF speed and accuracy as soon as we get it.

So my question is, what lenses should I be trying out. I am partial to zooms. I am thinking my 55-300 PLM is a natural choice since Pentax advertises it as having been built for speed with much lighter focusing elements than its Pentax predecessor. But actually it is a lens I don't use all that much since my dogs have aged a bit and they don''t run around in the field like they used to. And telezooms are not really family and kids kind of lenses and that is my main interest. I like my Pentax 18-135 for general purpose, and I feel like it has pretty good AF speed, but it is a bit older and I don't use it nearly as much as my Sigma 18-300. And I feel like it would be a bit unfair to judge the K3III AF on an older third party lens like a Sigma. I hardly ever use my Pentax 18-270 (a rebadged Tamron) once I got the Sigma since the Sigma was sharper at full zoom.  My Pentax 16-85 is nice but I kind of overlook it and I don't know why.  Maybe the full frame Pentax 28-105 would be good. I rather like the pictures I get using that lens and love the lack of vignetting one sees through the OVF using a full frame lens on an APS-C body.

My favorite lens is the Pentax 10-18 but of course not good for judging AF speed since it has such a large depth of focus due to the short focal lengths.

One might say the old screw drive lenses would be ones to avoid for AF speed. But I have some old Minolta screw drive lenses I use on Sony cameras that are wicked fast for AF speed.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Pentax *ist D +27 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow