A7Riii front focus with wildlife problems, need help

Started 4 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
pappatho Junior Member • Posts: 42
A7Riii front focus with wildlife problems, need help

Just moved to a Sony A7Riii and am having consistent front focus problems for wildlife pictures. The camera seems to typically focus on something in front of the intended subject. For example if I put the flexible spot S on a bird on water usually a ripple in the water in front of the bird is sharp. Bird in a tree and I'll get a nearby stick closer to the camera that is sharper. Animal in grass and I get grass closer to the camera sharper. I have tried wide, zone and flexible spot small. Nothing has worked as well as the results I use to get with a Nikon D7100 and D500.

Here are a couple of examples where the spot was on the animal. These were with a Sony 200-600 and at least on the bird a 1.4X teleconverter. These are cropped.

Any ideas what I can do differently to get the intended subject in focus? Right now I'm pretty frustrated with the money I laid out and am getting worse results.

I did buy the camera primarily for landscape, but wanted it to do this well too.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D500 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GF
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow