New (old) D700 owner: Tips and tricks, recommended settings, any other useful info?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Chris_2017 Forum Member • Posts: 66
New (old) D700 owner: Tips and tricks, recommended settings, any other useful info?

Hi all,

After much research into new systems I just decided to go back to what I know and was happy with before: A Nikon DSLR. Used both the D600 and D750 before, but wanted to try something different, so picked up a D700.

Second hand lenses: I have the 50mm f1.8 G ordered and am looking to maybe get one of the Sigmas for a wider angle (24 or 35 f1.4, or the 24-35 f2), and then the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II. I also bought the Nikon MB-D10 for a good price, as I like shooting in portrait orientation and having the extra long battery life.

Could users of this camera please give me any tips I might find helpful? I know it has one CF slot, so need to pick up one of those. Will this be compatible? I am guessing I don't need anything larger, as 12mp photos, and no video.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ECEVEP0

Then there's an LCD fogging issue I read about, but asked the seller to check the one I bought, which hopefully won't have it. It's got 18k shots and is one of the later serial number (247...). Any other issues with the D700 I need to be aware of?

Any advice for the picture settings, and how to get the best images? I am happy to shoot RAW. What's the focusing system on this like compared with the D600 and D750? I think the area is about the same, and it also has 51 points, but not as good in low light as the D750.

If there's anything I've not mentioned please feel free to add.

Thanks.

Nikon D600 Nikon D700 Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow