DXO PureRaw compared to Topaz Denoise AI

Started 4 weeks ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 21,536
DXO PureRaw compared to Topaz Denoise AI

There's not a lot of difference! Certainly, not enough to matter in my mind. DXO PureRaw is a {tiny} bit sharper than AI Clear mode in full auto, at an extreme zoom level. BUT, with Topaz, I can make adjustments to narrow that gap considerably.

The Demosaicing AI feature of DXO may play a part in overall detail retention on some photos, however. But at a normal viewing level, I'm not convinced it matters all that much. I think someone who values the built-in adjustability of the Topaz tools over the 'no thinking required' of DXO could not be considered 'wrong'.

One thing I like about DXO that I didn't mention in my other post on this is I can get geometric lens corrections for odd combinations of lenses and bodies. For instance, I still love my 4/3s DSLR lens, the Zuiko 14-54 mm, and I still shoot with it mounted on my m43s cameras. The Lens Fun Database that ACDSee uses for corrections doesn't allow for that combination, but DXO handles it quite well.

Below, is the DXO PureRaw version and the Topaz DeNoise AI version (with AI Clear in full auto)

This is the "Fit to Screen" view. At this level of magnification they look pretty much alike

This is at an extreme magnification. I don't know how many times, I just zoomed in. Clear AI on full auto, isn't QUITE as sharp as the DXO, but I do have the ability to tweak and adjust the Clear AI version.

I'd say, buy and use whatever feels right. I'm probably going to buy DXO Pure Raw while it is at a reduced introductory price even though I own the Topaz products. (But I'm a software geek)

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
Glen Barrington's score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow