Wireless Remote Release for Olympus PEN-F

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
xaprb Junior Member • Posts: 33
Wireless Remote Release for Olympus PEN-F

I own a Fujifilm X-S10 and afterwards bought an Olympus PEN-F, and I am hoping to use the same wireless remote release for both. I’d already bought a Vello FreeWave Plus remote release for the Fuji, and it works great. But I can’t get the Vello to work with the PEN-F. The behavior varies depending on the cable I use, and the cables I’ve found that are listed as compatible don’t work. Does anyone know a cable that they personally have gotten to work with the PEN-F?

More details about what I’ve bought: the Vello RCC-O3-2.5, which is listed on B&H as being compatible with the PEN-F, simply makes the PEN-F go into USB connection mode. Even plugging the cable into the PEN-F without connecting it to the Vello FreeWave will cause this behavior. I’ll insert a picture below showing what the camera screen looks like when this happens. I asked Vello about this and they said they were unable to find a PEN-F to test with, which is reasonable: it is discontinued.

I also bought the Waterbird Olympus UC1 cable, which the camera does recognize without entering USB mode. However, when I activate the shutter release (either through the remote or the button on top of the receiver) the camera just behaves like a half-shutter-press and doesn’t release fully. Halfway there!

I have the Olympus RM-UC1 and it works great. The camera acts just like I’m using the shutter button on the top of the camera. So I’ve eliminated the possibility that the camera is defective or the settings are wrong, as far as I know.

Is there a cable for this Vello that will make it work fully and release the shutter? Or, is there another wireless remote release with similar functionality (nice long range, etc) that you know will work with both the Fuji and PEN-F cameras? I’d like to just have a single one that works for both. Failing that, I’d like to have one for the PEN-F that works.

Thanks in advance for your help!

xaprb's gear list:xaprb's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +5 more
Olympus PEN-F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow