External GPS w/ K-3markiii

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
JoeOptics314 Forum Member • Posts: 62
Re: External GPS w/ K-3markiii
<snip>

Yes, a basic bluetooth standard for location information has existed since 2012: https://www.theverge.com/2012/3/21/2891785/bluetooth-gnss-profile-1-0-specification-adopted-sig . I don't know the current version.

But the question remains, of course, whether the camera implements a current version.

The fact that the wireless manual lists image sync functions and bluetooth functions in separate tables (p 4) might be a positive sign, but the fact that no GPS exchange protocol compliance is specifically mentioned anywhere that I can find, from my perspective, means assume not until proven.

I'm still wondering if they're not working on their own as a new O-GPS2.

Note: there is a caution in the wireless manual not to connect to an iOS device except via the Image Sync app. P 1 bottom left.

I am glad to see on page 121 of the user manual that my O-GPS1 will still work with this new camera and they implemented the Astrotracer function in it.   It would be great if they came out with an updated version of the O-GPS, because it is getting pretty long in the tooth.  I purchased mine 4 years ago, but it has been out for nearly 10 years (first released in 2011).

David

JoeOptics314's gear list:JoeOptics314's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax K-3 Mark III Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow