XOX +++ AXA +++ ZOZ +++ OXO +++ Thread starting 4/18/ 2020

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Erik Ohlson
Erik Ohlson Forum Pro • Posts: 22,179
XOX +++ AXA +++ ZOZ +++ OXO +++ Thread starting 4/18/ 2020

I've sort of lost control of this "continuing thread", so I'll just re-visit South and West Australia, which I drove across (for my 2nd time) in 2009, on a "BOTANIZING VISIT" - spent a lot of time close to the ground with my (then - almost - new) FZ18 - great for flowers photos as it focused down to 1CM.

First: the road - I called it "The road to Forever" because it goes on like this, forever :

And that was specially picked for the contours of the land, which is mostly FLAT - and then falls into the sea. It's like this for over a thousand miles:

Early in the last century, it looked like it would be great farm country, but over-grazing forced many farmers to abandon their farms:

When these guys find a place with some water, they don't mess around: it gets plowed & planted:

Bird life  features many Parrots (here, a pair of Corerellas).

And ORCHIDS ! Did you expect orchids, here? These are apparently called "Donkey Orchids" - you can see why.

Don't know the name of these similar ones - I call them "Dog-faced Orchids":

They come in colors, and white:

And I even found this TINY little orchid:

This was a real surprise: camping one evening, I found several of these low bushes sharing my spot - turns out it's a relative of the many yellow-flowering "Wattle" trees, and it's called "Flat Wattle". Note that there are no actual leaves & the flowers come right out of the flattened stems.

There's a limit of ten photos, but I do have more.  

-- hide signature --

"Measure wealth not by things you have but by things for which you would not take money"
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow