Basic questions - wannabe MF user

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Erik Kaffehr
Erik Kaffehr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,711
Re: A pretty well researched article - from DPReview staff

Greg7579 wrote:

Erik why drag up controversial 4-year-old DPR opinion pieces from back in the days when DPR was seen by Fuji as unfriendly to the introduction of GFX, and when literally all of the early DPR opinion piece articles were seen as accentuating the negative and were decidedly lukewarm (at best) to GFX while failing to accentuate the far superior image fidelity of the GFX system?

The article doesn't discuss GFX, but medium format in general. It is also fact based.

That was 4 years ago and DPR has changed its generally negative editorial tone regarding GFX (especially in the last 18 months). They had to in order to maintain any level of credibility as GFX took off....

It is not about being positive or negative, it is about demonstrable facts. GFX has developed a lot since 2017, but so has 24x36 mm. Think Canon EOS R system and Nikon Z. Lot of new lens designs. GFX 100 now essentially shares sensor technology with Fujifilm XT4, Sony A7rIV and Phase One IQ 4150.

I read this article and also some early opinion pieces by Richard back about 3 years ago when I was deciding to buy GFX. Those early DPR articles almost convinced me not to go GFX.

The article was not written by Richard Buttler but by Rishi Sanyal.

But several people on this forum told me to ignore those early biased opinion pieces and take the plunge.

It may be that those guys were wrong, have you considered that?

I'm so glad I did.

I am glad you are happy--

Those early opinion pieces were off on what GFX was all about - especially on the IQ / image fidelity / look and anything that could have been perceived as clear advantages vs FF.

Lets put it this way, Rishi mostly discusses physics and those are the same for any system.

But, here is a challenge for you:

Point out any error or mistake in that article, preferably with some associated proof.

But hey - no worries - nothing wrong with digging out old DPR early-GFX opinion pieces, especially if the intent is to dampen someone's enthusiasm for spending that much money on a camera system vs FF.

I don't see it that way. I am just pointing to an article that is well researched.

Just to make a small point, DPR compares DR on the Pentax 645Z and the Nikon D810 using a lighthouse scene.

That comparison was accurately made, in spite of the difficulties doing accurate tests under outdoor conditions.

Best regards

Erik

-- hide signature --

Erik Kaffehr
Magic uses to disappear in controlled experiments…
Gallery: http://echophoto.smugmug.com
Articles: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow