Basic questions - wannabe MF user

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Satyaa Veteran Member • Posts: 4,310
Re: Reply 2: Why GFX100s

Stan Disbrow wrote:

Hi,

My wife has a decent Bridge camera. And she was OK with it more than half the time. The rest of the time she got me to shoot instead.

After a few years, she wanted an ILC though. Not a big one like any of mine. Meaning I couldn't just hand her one. So, we went shopping. She chose a Nikon D3500. And three lenses, one of which is macro. So now she uses that most of the time and shoots all her own stuff.

As an aside, she likes optical viewfinders over electronic ones. She really didn't like any of the mirrorless models. And, I didn't steer her towards any brand or type. I let her do the actual shopping.

Now here's an interesting thing: She prefers to use the Bridge for video even though the other does it equally well.

And, I will use her Bridge for video as well, but only because I don't have an ILC that can do video. And, I haven't picked up a dedicated video camera, which would be my choice. I just don't shoot video that often so hers will do.

The bottom line here is, yes, it is a good idea to give things a try before one buys.

Stan

I can relate to much of your experience.

What one likes isn't clear until they've tried different things. My wife likes the results from my DSLRs. So, she wants me to shoot anything she thinks is important. When she is shooting herself for documenting her work or events at school, she uses an old Canon PowerShot 10mp camera. She likes the size and using its articulating LCD. She doesn't like any kind of viewfinders, hence the hesitation with any DSLR.

Personally, I had bad experience with Sony P&S cameras more than 15 years ago. This was before they acquired Minolta and entered the DSLR market. That stuck in my mind and I have never tried a Sony ILC even though their technology today is ahead of other brands.

I moved from a Monolta P&S (highest resolution among those pocketable cameras at the time) to a Canon PowerShot Pro1 (their only bridge camera ever with an 'L' lens), Rebel XTi (their first DSLR under $1000), then D7100, finally D7200 and D810.

I am OK with an EVF but the only thing I find difficulty adjusting to in a bridge camera is that the zoom feels out of control. Meaning, I cannot relate to how much the zoom is moving based on how much I turned the ring or pushed the lever left/right. The only exception was the PowerShot Pro1! When I turn the zoom ring on any DSLR lens, I feel it's moving 'as expected'.

I have never used a ML lens whose zoom is electronically controlled like the focus-by-wire feature (power zoom?) I don't know how they feel. My plan for eliminating this factor from the equation is to stick with primes.

Thanks.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow