Z6 II - memory card questions

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
peter2013 Forum Member • Posts: 62
Z6 II - memory card questions

I recently bought a new Z6 II and I have some questions about its memory cards...

The store I bought it at (Hunt's in Melrose MA) sold me two CF Express cards with it.  They fit in the same slot in the camera as the XQD cards that I already own for my Z7, but I can't seem to read them with my Sony XQD reader.   After a big studio shoot yesterday I had to copy them onto my PC using the USB connector on the camera.

1.  How big a difference is there between CF Express and XQD?   Can I think of them as interchangable in the cameras?

2.  Is there a reader I can buy that takes both (the Sony reader was not cheap so I'm very disappointed that it can't read the XQD cards!)

3   Everyone was complaining that the original Z bodies lacked a second memory card slot.  Now the Z6 II has one but it takes an SD card.   What's up with using two different card form factors?   Also I thought the advantage of the XQD/CF Express was higher speed for 4K video.    If there are SD cards that can handle that then what's the advantage of the larger form factor XQD/CF Express card -  why not just have two SD cards?

Thanks in advance for clarifying this for me!

Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow