Beauty Dish Question

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Colin Creevey Regular Member • Posts: 356
Beauty Dish Question

Hello all,

I've never used a beauty dish before but I am planning on doing a beauty shoot and thought I would look into using the beauty dish at the studio that I will be using.

In this video Lindsay Adler says to line the centre reflector with the subject's face. However, in this video the presenter states that this would cause hot spots on the subject's face. He then goes on to say that instead he points it at the collarbone.

So which is it? Is there a correct place to point it? I realise that you can purchase different deflector plates which can be semi-translucent but it appears they are both using a more standard opaque deflector plate.
If I owned a beauty dish I would try do some tests using my camera at different aperture to see the exact distribution of light but as I don't own one I can't do this.

While talking about beauty dishes, few other questions for if/when I decide to buy one.
1. Other than portability, what are the main differences between a hard beauty dish to the collapsible beauty dishes such as the Broncolor Beautybox 65 or Profoto collapsible beauty dish?
2. I was looking at Mola beauty dishes and wondered what exact effect these have over standard beauty dishes?  Is this for a more niche use case or just a case of different strokes for different folks?
3. Any tips regarding what size beauty dish to look at getting?
Thanks

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow