Problems focusing for filming interviews

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
nickmadrid New Member • Posts: 1
Problems focusing for filming interviews

Hey all,

First post here! I work in social media and have recently started using the Sony a7iii to film for work, including interviews and other pieces to camera. Day-to-day I film sports and have little trouble with the focus but using the manual focus for interviews I’ve often found the focus is slightly off...

The set-up has been the camera on a tripod filming an interview between two people facing the camera, around a few meters away from the camera. Using manual focus and high peaking, I’ve tested with the focus on the eyes but the end product always seems a bit off and I’m not sure why. I’ve tried increasing the aperture to allow for more movement, even up to f10/11, and the focus still seems a bit off. I don’t think this is simply down to ensuring the focus peaking is on the eyes, because I’ve done test shots various times before doing the actual shoot and they’ve seemed fine.

Any tips? I’ve even considered using auto focus on the eyes given how good it’s meant to be on the a7iii, but want to get the manual focus right. It’s pretty frustrating! As you can tell I’m not a highly experienced videography, it’s something I’m starting out in due to work changes.

Many thanks in advance!

Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow