ND filter shutter speed conversion

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Merlin5 Senior Member • Posts: 2,061
Re: ND filter shutter speed conversion

BBbuilder467 wrote:

Merlin5 wrote:

Hi guys. I'm going to be buying a 10 stop ND filter and have been learning how to expose for it from a youtube tutorial.

In the tutorial he shows a conversion chart so that if for instance he's correctly exposed at shutter speed 1/1000th and ISO 100 before putting the filter on, it'll be 1 second when the filter is put on. Or if it's a different aperture and correctly exposed at1/250th, it'll be 4 seconds with the filter on. Why would I need a conversion chart though if presumably all I have to do is keep dialling the shutter speed down until I see the exposure meter correctly exposing, i.e, in the centre?

For long exposures, you'll be using a tripod and Manual Exposure mode. Adjust the exposure to "0" or whatever you want for that scene. Then, add the ND and adjust the shutter speed back to the the same EV. You don't have to calculate anything. Except for motion blur or a little contrast, the before and after are identical. All that changes is shutter speed.

Thanks BB builder. With a circular screw on ND filter,  it should be possible I can smooth out sky and water in a single long exposure,  as long as any visible clouds are moving quite fast?

Merlin5's gear list:Merlin5's gear list
Sony a6600 Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (E/EF-M mounts) Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow