Using Electronic Shutter on Different R5 Drive Speed Settings

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RDM5546
RDM5546 Senior Member • Posts: 2,362
Using Electronic Shutter on Different R5 Drive Speed Settings

I have been using electronic shutter a lot and found a handy way to approximately control the number of shots I get per press of the shutter release button. As the manual explain their are four drive speed settings using manual shutter mode. H+ (High Speed Continuous +), H (High Speed Continuous), Slow Speed Continuous and Single Shooting. When the shutter is set to Electronic Shutter using the menu the four shooting modes affect the number of shots that will occur when you press the shutter release button quickly. A quick press using electronic shutter mode will give about 5-6 shots when the H+ drive speed is selected before the shooting stops. H will give around 3 shots per press and Slow Speed Continuous will provide a single exposure or two per quick press. Pressing the exposure longer than a quick press while in H+,H or Slow drive modes will cause the camera to shoot at 20 fps for the entire time the shutter button in pressed.

I have found setting the R5 in Show Speed Continuous Drive Speed mode most useful when using the electronic shutter. A quick press will generator a single exposure but a extended press will continue at 20fps until I let go. This give me complete control the shutter and the allow me to rapidly switch back and forth from "single shot mode" to a fast burst mode as shooting changes when shooting action shots while minimizing the number of unnecessary shots that must be short through in post processing.  The single shot mode using the quick press sometimes generates two  shots but always it is significantly fewer using the slow speed drive than the H+ drive setting

Maybe my preferences are unique but I used to wish Canon would allow other speed for electronic shutter that were slower than 20fps to help minimize the number of unnecessary shots in post. My using the Slow Speed Drive mode I can get the same result by careful control of the shutter button with very easy to do once you get used to it.

RDM5546's gear list:RDM5546's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R +38 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow