Dust spots, on sensor or lens?

Started 4 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
yosricko New Member • Posts: 14
Dust spots, on sensor or lens?

Hi,

So, recently I noticed some quite big, dark, circular spots on my images, appearing from F11 to F22 when using the XC 15-45 on my X-T200. Most likely dust, since I quite often switching lenses.

I'm aware this is normal, and thought, well I just need to clean my sensor later, and I rarely shoot above F8, anyway.

But then, out of curiosity, I took more pictures, only this time using XC 35 (max F16), and, to my surprise, those big spots were not there, other than some tiny ones I was already aware of.

There are some dust particles inside my XC 15-45. But, to my knowledge, dust inside lens won't affect images that much. Am I correct?

So, again, out of curiosity, I tested it with my other camera, the X-E2s, and, there they are, the same dark spots on the same exact positions.

My questions, is it possible the spots were caused by dust inside the lens? Why did the pictures taken with other lens came out cleaner? Is it simply because the small aperture? And, to my confusion, the same spots appeared when taken with different camera, meaning it's indeed not the sensor?

Please note that I have no problems with dust appearing on sensor or lens overtime with constant use. Just curious

Would love to hear some opinions/experience.

Thanks!

ANSWER:
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow