Purple fringing, RP and two 24-105 zooms

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SteveinLouisville
SteveinLouisville Contributing Member • Posts: 777
Purple fringing, RP and two 24-105 zooms

I went to a local park yesterday with both my RPs. One had the RF 24-105 STM, the other had the EF 24-105 4.0L ver 2. Both cameras were set up identically, Av f8.

Attached are hard crops of bare tree limbs against the blue sky. ignore the resolution. This is such a hard crop, the resolution would be bad regardless of the lens used.

Notice the purple fringing. Frankly, I expected the STM to be worse, and it was. The EF was no great improvement, but was better. My question: I noticed that if I change the picture style, from say, Fine Detail to Landscape, the fringing gets worse. It seems the least noticeable in "faithful" or "Neutral." Is this your experience as well? I thought fringing was a lens specific issue, but apparently not. Thanks!

Oh, this is not a scientific test in any sense, just me goofing around with my cameras on a nice day.

EF lens

STM lens

Canon EF 24-105mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow