GFX 100S sensor is a 4-shot stitch

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 32,593
GFX 100S sensor is a 4-shot stitch

In the past, the steppers used in sensor photolithography couldn't cover a 24x36 mm area, and full frame sensors were often stitched using two exposures per sensor during each photolithography step. Because of a discussion on another forum, I decided to take a look.

I took the lens off a GFX 100S, set the ISO to 100, the ES speed to 1/250 second, and banged off 32 exposures. I took one of them into RawDigger, and exported it as a raw composite TIFF. I brought it into Matlab, did a histogram equalization, and looked at each plane. Here they are, a bit less than half size:

R

G1

G2

B

It's pretty obvious that there are four quadrants with somewhat different characteristics. The PDAF rows are pretty obvious, to.

Here's the code I used for the above:

I brought all 32 images into Lr, exported them as layers to Ps, and used Ps to average the layers. Here are the R, G, and B planes of the result:

R

G

B

If you aren't doing stacked astro, I don't think this is of any concern.

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow