Recomendation for my new camera

Started Oct 28, 2003 | Discussions thread
Ching-Kuang Shene
Ching-Kuang Shene Veteran Member • Posts: 5,934
Re: Let's not get too heated now...

Ping279 wrote:

It is not heated. People arguing/debating about something with respect to personal experience is quite normal. After all people came from different background may have completely different point to a simple assignment.

To add another thing that I'm looking for in a new camera, I
definitly want a camera that, without having to buy any extras,
will focus as close as the 4500 will. I won't buy a camera that
cannot take macros as close or as good as the 4500. To give an
example of how " close " I want, here's a fly the size of a tip of
a pencil lead:

I'd like to point out an important issue in macro photography. It is the magnification that counts rather than how close a lens can be in front of the subject (i.e., working distance). The magnification of a lens is calculated as Y/X, where X is the length of a subject, and Y is its length on the recording device. The most commonly seen magnification of a typical macro lens is 1:1 (life size), which means the image lens and the actual length are equal. Given a magnification, macro lenses of different focal lengths would have different minimum working distance. For example, the Nikon AFD 60mm may achieve 1:1 with a minimum working distance around 5cm while a AFD 200mm lens would have a minimum working distance of 20cm. Both lenses can produce 1:1 magnification at that distance (i.e., the recorded images of the same subject are exactly the same). In general, longer working distance gives us more leverage in composition and lighting. For example, when shooting a bee, 20cm away is safer than 5cm, which, in turn, is safer than 2cm. Moreover, 20cm would allow one to use a ring flash effectively. With a 2cm working distance, we can only wait until the lighting condition changes to our favor. On the other hand, in studio shooting situation, one can move freely and as a result many would like the 60mm or the 105mm. In fact, when I work in studio, I used the 60mm more than any other lenses. The 5700 plus a Nikon #6T is also a very competent combo that can compete against the 4500 favorably.

CK

Ching-Kuang Shene's gear list:Ching-Kuang Shene's gear list
Olympus D-600L Nikon D7100 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow