Macbook Air

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
lightandaprayer Senior Member • Posts: 4,319
Re: Macbook Air

lynda07 wrote:

My old Windows PC needs replacing and I’m thinking of getting a Macbook. (M1).

I have an iPad Pro and iPhone but have never used a Macbook, it’s totally new to me.

I’d be using it for browsing, YouTube etc but my main use would be processing photos using Lightroom and Photoshop. Would you recommend the Air or Pro?

How do you go on using Word, Excel etc? Do you buy it, do Apple do their own version?

I’m guessing this would be a completely different way of working to what I am used to, any pros/cons of moving from Windows to Apple would be gratefully received too.

Thanks

Lynda

It would be a different way of doing things but I think that most people who have mastered Windows will be able to learn the Mac OS. The fact that you already have experience using a computer should make things easier.

In the past I would suggest getting Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Mavericks Edition . Unfortunately, the last edition is for Mavericks. On the other hand, Mavericks is still OS X and since the book is available for as little as $6 used, it is going to have a lot of useful info about transitioning from Windows to the Mac OS. Like learning about the Mac equivalents of your Windows software and how to transfer data to them (not to mention email, address book, calendar, Web bookmarks and more).

Mac Unlocked: Everything You Need to Know to Get Cracking in macOS Big Sur is my other recommendation. I haven't read it but if it is as good as his earlier Missing Manual OS editions, it will be worth every penny.

If you still have your PC after you get a Mac, you can take your time learning how the Mac works. There will be a lot less pressure since you can still do what you need to do on your old computer.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow