External GPS w/ K-3markiii

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bob5050 Senior Member • Posts: 2,419
External GPS w/ K-3markiii

Thread drift...

Roland Karlsson wrote:

If there is a standard protocol that third party devices use (and someone claimed so) then that is the only option that shall be implemented. The app in the phone shall also use that standard protocol, nothing else.

But is even possible? On both Android and iOS?

Alex

Yes, a basic bluetooth standard for location information has existed since 2012: https://www.theverge.com/2012/3/21/2891785/bluetooth-gnss-profile-1-0-specification-adopted-sig . I don't know the current version.

But the question remains, of course, whether the camera implements a current version.

The fact that the wireless manual lists image sync functions and bluetooth functions in separate tables (p 4) might be a positive sign, but the fact that no GPS exchange protocol compliance is specifically mentioned anywhere that I can find, from my perspective, means assume not until proven.

I'm still wondering if they're not working on their own as a new O-GPS2.

Note: there is a caution in the wireless manual not to connect to an iOS device except via the Image Sync app. P 1 bottom left.

-- hide signature --

bob5050
I just hope that everyone who's complained about the K-3iii delay actually buys one. One wonders, otherwise, about the sincerity of their complaints.

bob5050's gear list:bob5050's gear list
Fujifilm XP130 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow