Taking brand new RF 50mm f/1.8 for a spin in the springtime. Love it

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
jensting Forum Member • Posts: 51
Taking brand new RF 50mm f/1.8 for a spin in the springtime. Love it

So, I found out that the reason that my local photo shop didn't have the RF 50mm f/1.8 on its webshop was that it was flying off the shelves. Whatever. So, I went in and grabbed one.

I love it. While I do have heavy and expensive lenses for my RP, the 50mm is the fully automatic version of what I was using a 40mm M mount Leitz f/2 for - just walking around without getting a bad back from lugging all that cost - 'scuse me, all that Quality - around.

Plus the sun was shining after a pretty average week, here in Denmark.

DPP claims data for this lens, so whatever corrections are applied to CR3 with this lens are applied here. DPP sharpening to 6 (from default 4) for most. All images forced white balance to Daylight.

Cafe still in lockdown. Focussed on the front door, still plenty of nicely sharp detail in the trees in the background, if one pixel peeps.

Lightly cropped, -0.33 exposure +1 contrast

The budding leafs were shot at minimum focus distance. No macro lens, but still pretty respectable.

Cropped quite a bit.

Profoundly undramatic angle for this bike (I was standing on a bank sloping down), but at least a nicely neutral background. Lens full open, which makes even the middle of the bike nicely smoothed out and undistracting.

Medium crop

Slightly better light but more fussy angle with tree detail on the left. Lens stopped down, so now we spend all our time reading the numbers on the pin rather than go "Oooh - orange!" which was what I was seeing.

Medium crop

So, more lenses like this, please! Or, at least, the f/4.0 ultra wide zoom to replace The Big One.

jensting's gear list:jensting's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EOS RP Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow