field macro light improvement options

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Gregor Samsa
Gregor Samsa Regular Member • Posts: 309
Re: field macro light improvement options

The FotoPro DMM-903s articulating arms seem well built and are very flexible. You can add or remove joints to change the length. I removed one joint from each arm to suit my needs.  You can tighten each joint, and it's sets in place very well if you do do. The base is a long Arca compatible plate itself, but it also has two mounting slots. I put an Arca clamp on it, to make it easy to mount the camera which already has an L-bracket on it.

The whole rig is easy enough to hold in the hand, but I think I'll get a hand strap for the camera to help make it a easier to hold.

On the Meike MT24 twin flash set, the thing that annoyed me the most was that the buttons on the two flash units are black with no painted inscription, just a black indentation for the text/graphics. This made knowing which button did what - despicably in low light - difficult. I used some Molotow paint markers to colour in the indentations with white and red, to make them much more visible. Also, the battery door on the trigger unit has a tendency to open, so I just stuck some electrical tape on it. The battery doors on the flash units are very secure. Both the flash units and the control unit can shine a guide light to illuminate your subject for composition or focus before the shot.

Gregor Samsa's gear list:Gregor Samsa's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a7 III Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow