System upgrade options, decisions...

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lyesainer
Lyesainer New Member • Posts: 11
System upgrade options, decisions...

Hey everyone, i am looking for advise on my future system change/upgrade. I'll try to be brief and pragmatic.

About me:

I am an amateur photographer, not really specialized in any particular "genre" of photography but mostly doing travel, wildlife, landscape. I also try to do some street and urbex, but rarely have the occasion.

What i currently have:

• Nikon D7000
  • 35mm prime
  • 17-50 f2.8 Sigma 
  • 70-200 f2.8 Tamron 
  • Cheap, functional vertical grip 
  • Extra batteries and stuff
  • Other interchangeable gear such as flash, IR remote shutter, etc

What am i looking for:

In short, an entry level full-frame, mirrorless camera.

In a bit more detail - I feel that my current camera is starting to really show it's age and lack of technology, especially in the low-light capabilities (ISO + noise), HDR and stabilisation. All the little extras such as "focus peeking", live histogram, active tracking AF system etc are definitely looking "tasty" too.

I am torn between the current options on the market. On one side i am already invested in the Nikon system, i love it and know it, one might say i am a bit of a fan. Being able to use some of my old gear with an adaptor (at least the telephoto lens is FF, guess the rest will have to go) I'd say i'd be very happy with a Z6ii, if i could afford one. On the other side, i am well aware that Nikon is in a bit of a bad situation lately and definitely "behind" the competition (Sony and Canon) in almost every aspect other than actual image quality. So, it might not be a very smart investment to get a Z that might never be resalable. Also, the "entry level" Z5 really doesn't seem worth the price, i think they've really messed up their pricing line.

I am not sure which of the current mirrorless cameras of Canon and Sony are considered "entry level full-frame", there has been quite a lot of new things released or announced recently. I have considered switch system completely too, as i am more worried about optimizing my investment than sticking with a particular maker.

So, what would you advise?

Stick with Nikon and wait for a 2nd hand Z6ii to become available ? Switch to Sony? Canon? If so, which particular model should i be looking for? How are the 2nd hand  and 3rd party manufacturer markets for glass in Sony and Canon? (If i am not mistake, there is NO 3rd party glass for the latest Canon mounts, like the Z system?)

Thanks!

Lyesainer's gear list:Lyesainer's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow