Using a Smartphone, PC or tablet as external monitor

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Igor Sotelo Regular Member • Posts: 461
Using a Smartphone, PC or tablet as external monitor

Initially wanted to buy an Atomos Shinobi or Lilliput A12, but eventually saw a tutorial on YouTube about using a smartphone as external monitor.

Since I had an old Moto G4 Plus (Android 7, 5.5” screen, 1920x1024 with quite good brightness and 3000 mAh), that didn’t use in long time, I got a SmallRig hot shoe tilt-swivel adapter, and after seeing the video bought a Samsung micro USB adapter and the Ulanzi ST-03 holder. Alternatively have the 1st gen SE iPhone but that one is hardly bigger than camera screens and a XR from my work which has a strange elongated screen.

Another option is to use an GPD Pocket 2 laptop (an m3 processor that can’t remember now, Windows 10, 7”, 1920x1200, touch screen, around 500g).

Since have plans to buy an iPad Mini, that would be another option (around 300g, 7.9”, 2048x1536, good brightness).

My cameras are the Canon 5Ds, 6D, Nikon D800, Df and tomorrow will get a Sony A7R II, and I’m mostly interested in photography.

Was thinking what software would me most recommended, I have heard of the qDSLR Dashboard, not sure if that one can do focus peaking for manual focus or if it would work on Android 7.

Is it better to use an OTG cable or the adapter for using the Moto G4 Plus?

What device is most recommended, a smartphone, mini laptop or tablet and how to support a laptop or the tablet?
Which of my cameras (5Ds, 6D, D800, Df and A7R II) will work best with the softwares? Is it better the software run over wifi with the 6D and A7R II cameras, of the 5Ds with a WiFi adapter?

And the last question, is if it’s better to get an off the shelf solution like the Shinobi, that’s bulkier, heavier and uses extra batteries that aren’t small or cheap, and has HDMI input only, compared to the G4 plus.

Thanks in advance.

Igor Sotelo's gear list:Igor Sotelo's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 6D Nikon Df Canon EOS 5DS Sony a7R II +14 more
Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M3 Nikon D800 Nikon Df Olympus Tough TG-4 Sony a7R Sony a7R II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow