R5: How would you power the camera at weddings among these 4 different ways?

Started 4 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Alekhine Senior Member • Posts: 1,437
R5: How would you power the camera at weddings among these 4 different ways?

I’m looking for a way to power my R5 without having to worry about battery life, which for me is quite disappointing. I’ve been a 1D user for about 15 years now, have owned all of them, from 1Ds up to 1DXmk2. Battery life has never been a concern to me at hundreds of weddings with two cameras on my hip.

I’ve never been a huge fan of mirrorless cameras, having tried many of them (not only canon), but I must admit that this R5 really impressed me, to the point that I am now finally ready to sell all of my gear and buy another R5 and a few more RF lenses.

Now, what worries me the most is batteries. What I want is possibly avoid bringing a bag full of batteries with me at weddings (when/if they start again), plus they are quite expensive. Here in Italy a genuine LP-E6NH is about 120€, well over the 80$ in the US. I am not considering any 3rd party batteries, having read nothing but negative reviews on them. Nonetheless, having never tried any 3rd party battery, I’ve just purchased a couple of Patona Protect NH series (50€ each) https://pts-trading.de/en/patona-protect-battery-f.-lp-e6nh-fuer-canon-eos-r5-eos-r6-5799?c=2309 just to give it a try before completely leaving this route.

My applications are weddings and landscapes, and most times they both require continuous power for the camera. So I started doing my researches and have read about everything I could read on this topic. What I have noticed is most people are trying to power their R5 through the usb-c port located on the left side of the camera and a PD powerbank delivering at least 30W. This is probably for fast action or bird shooters who really need the 12 FPS in MS.

In my case, I don’t need fast burst rate as I’ve never used it at weddings or for landscapes, so why hanging around with a cable attached to the side of your camera, with a clear risk that somebody could easily damage my camera? Yes this could be an option for landscapes but definitely not for weddings, and I’m trying to find a one solution for all.

Next option I have considered is the Case Realy from Tether Tools. Again, this looks like a great solution for landscapes, maybe for time-lapse or night photography, but I’m not sure it would be useful at weddings? Would love to hear opinions here from someone who has used Case Relay at weddings.

So only option left seems to be a dummy battery with an AC adapter and a PD powerbank? I have found many DC coupler/AC adapter kits on Amazon at just around 25€ (Gonine, Fotga just to name a few). However, cables seem to be way too long to have them hanging on your body throughout the day, so I started looking at dummy batteries with coiled cables. The one acceptable solution for me would be a setup as simple as possible, something like a dummy battery with a coiled cable attached straight to a battery or a power pack attached to my belt. So far I’ve found nothing as simple as this. Am I missing something?

Only alternative I can think of at the moment would be a small portable dual charger and a power bank for the spare batteries, to be used in my bag while I am shooting and swap them between camera and charger.

Would love to hear your opinion/suggestion/experience.

Thanks!

Guido

-- hide signature --

Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.
Oscar Wilde
https://wildscapes.photography

Alekhine's gear list:Alekhine's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1Ds
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow