New RF70-200f2.8L Soft In the Upper Left Corner (Only)

Started 3 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Karl_Guttag Contributing Member • Posts: 565
New RF70-200f2.8L Soft In the Upper Left Corner (Only)

I just got a new RF70-200f2.8L and I have a test setup that I have been using to check out lenses. I use a laser level to make sure the camera is centered on the test pattern (which is 42-inches wide).

I have just taken pictures at 70mm and 100mm and I am noticing that the upper left corner is significantly softer than the corners. The image below is from a single picture with the focus centered on the center. I have cropped each corner (UL = Upper Left, LR = Lower Right). Additionally, I have gone back and shot with the focus point on the upper left corner and still, the upper left is visibly softer than the Lower Right.

The Upper left only gets slightly sharper when stopped down to f8 (it is less sharp at f8 than the other corners are at f2.8).

I don't want to push the "return button" in haste, but I think I may have gotten a bad copy or one damaged in shipping (bought from BHPhoto). Any suggestions/comments would or tests I should run be welcome.

Karl_Guttag's gear list:Karl_Guttag's gear list
Canon EOS RP Olympus E-M5 III Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +11 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow